Whether you’re celiac, intolerant to gluten or eat gluten-free food by choice, those sprouted crackers will make your day! You won’t even miss the store-bought gluten-free crackers (like rice crackers, rice thins, corn cakes etc.) that are usually made of gluten-free flour or flour blend such as brown rice flour, almond flour, millet flour etc. Furthermore, you’ll find that most crackers, even in healthy grocery store, contain olive oil whereas this recipe is oil-free.
Gluten-Free Sprouted Crackers [Vegan]
6-oz raw buckwheat groats
2 tablespoons. ground flax seeds
1/8 + 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon. smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon. garlic powder
1 teaspoon. dried oregano
5 tablespoons. of water
- Start by soaking unroasted (raw) buckwheat groats for at least 6 hours for nutritional benefits. Then drain and rinse them well.
- Next, place them (in a sieve) on a bowl bigger than the sieve and cover with clean and slightly damp folded kitchen cloth. Keep them at room temperature. Rinse them about 2-3 times daily as they can get slimy. The sprouts will be with ideal length in 24 hours, but already usable in 12 hours.
- When you have your sprouted buckwheat, throw it into food processor along with all the other ingredients and process until you have homogeneous batter. You’ll need to scrape the sides with a spoon now and again.
- Next, place the batter onto silicone baking mat or parchment paper (measured for the size of your baking sheet) and using spatula, spread it out a bit. Then, take another piece of parchment paper and place it onto batter. Gently press the pile down with your hands. Now, start rolling it out until it is almost the same shape and size as your baking sheet. Remove the top paper and lift the rolled out batter onto baking sheet. If you have a smaller rolling pin, you might be also able to roll it directly on baking sheet.
- Bake the crackers at 350°F for 25-30 minutes until golden. Then turn off the heat, open the oven door and let cool in the oven to get it really crispy. Should you like it a bit soft, remove immediately and start munching.