Life can taste good with these fluffy, soft, gluten-free biscuits accompanied by mushroom gravy. It's the ultimate comfort food side that will leave you craving for more. These are great for dinner parties, but also make great leftover snacks/sides for yourself.
Biscuits and Mushroom Gravy [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Biscuits:
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup rice flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 3 tablespoons cold vegan butter
For the Gravy:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon tamari or liquid aminos
- 5 turns fresh black pepper
To Make the Biscuits:
- Place butter in the freezer for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet or place a piece of parchment paper over the baking sheet.
- Combine coconut milk, water, and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, add rice flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, dried basil and dried dill. Gently stir to combine.
- Add cold vegan butter to flour mixture and use a pastry cutter or two knives to incorporate. Don’t overmix, it will lead to hard biscuits.
- Pour in the coconut milk/apple cider mixture and stir until just combined.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon of batter at a time on a baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes.
To Make the Gravy:
- Melt Earth Balance in a large skillet and saute the onions and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, thyme, marjoram, basil and salt and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally so that mushrooms don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- In a small mixing bowl add the water and the rice flour and whisk to combine.
- Slowly add water mixture to the mushrooms and stir to combine.
- Add soy sauce and cook on low for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until gravy thickens.
- Pour warm gravy over warm biscuits.