The rice gets its bright yellow hue from turmeric which is an incredibly healthy spice to add to your diet -- its an anti-inflammatory and a natural anti-histamine. Ginger and turmeric are actually related so both ingredients boast these benefits. This recipe is very allergy-friendly -- its vegan, gluten free, nut free, soy free and delicious.
Gingery Yellow Rice [Vegan]
- A little over 1/2 cup brown basmati rice
- A little over 1 cup water
- dash of turmeric
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- a few cranks of black pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 small onion, peeled and chopped small
- 2 inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped into a few pieces
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- OPTIONAL: Tiny handful of fresh cilantro or fresh mint (optional garnish)
- Rinse the rice in cold water and drain to remove excess starch. Add to a small pot and cover with the water. Add in all spices and the onion. Bring to a boil. Once boiling cover with a tight fitting lid and keep heat high for one minute. After one minute, reduce heat to low and allow to cook (undisturbed) for 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat (with lid still on!) and allow to cool for 10 minutes, covered. Once cooled, fluff with a fork and stir in the olive oil and a tiny pinch of salt if desired. Serve warm with a little chopped fresh cilantro or mint on top.