This stew is perfectly warming soup is full of beans and is flavored wonderfully with celery and carrots!
Gigante Bean Soup with Celery and Olives [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 tablespoons table salt, for brining
- 1 pound (21/2 cups) dried gigante beans, picked over and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 5 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, plus 1/2 cup leaves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram or oregano
- Lemon wedges
- Dissolve 1 1/2 tablespoons salt in 2 quarts cold water in large container. Add beans and soak at room temperature for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. Drain and rinse well.
- Using highest sauté function, heat oil in Instant Pot until shimmering. Add celery pieces, onion, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth, water, beans, and bay leaves.
- Lock lid in place and close pressure release valve. Select high pressure cook function and cook for 6 minutes. Turn off Instant Pot and let pressure release naturally for 15 minutes. Quick-release any remaining pressure, then carefully remove lid, allowing steam to escape away from you.
- Combine celery leaves, olives, and marjoram in bowl. Discard bay leaves. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Top individual portions with celery-olive mixture and drizzle with extra oil. Serve with lemon wedges.