A giant fried seitan nugget! Adding oil, mashed beans or cutting it with additional flours (like chickpea flour or nutritional yeast) or even mixing in tomato sauce. All these things can cut down on the chewiness to make it less like rubber.
Giant Chicken Nugget [Vegan]
- 3/4-ounces vital wheat gluten,
- 3 cup water (or less)
- 4 servings of vegan bouillon
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup flour
- Spices of choice
- 4-8 tablespoons of vegan egg powder turned into “egg” with cold water
- Oil for deep frying
- Dissolve bouillon into 2 cups of water then add 4 tablespoons oil. Mix your liquid/oil mixture into the gluten flour. Feel free to add any spices you’d like. I measured out an additional cup of water and slowly poured it into the dough but didn’t need all of it. Essentially I just wanted to make sure there weren’t any extra bits of flour & it was all turned into dough.
- Line your steamer basket with foil and placed the seitan on top. You shouldn't cover the whole thing with foil but you could do that if you wanted. Steam until dough firms up. 45 minutes to an hour. Keep an eye on your water levels. Steaming for an hour requires a lot of water.
- Once seitan is cooked allow it to fully cool down.
- Make your vegan egg.
- Mix flour and spices/salt for a flavorful coating. You can taste the flour to see if it’s spiced and salted enough. The less bland the better.
- Once seitan is cooled, cut around the edges to give it a more nugget shape.
- Dip seitan into flour then into the vegan egg. Let egg drip off then coat with flour again.
- Fry until golden brown. ENJOY!