In this recipe, oven-roasted garlic, cauliflower, and parsnips are puréed together to create a soup that's smooth, creamy, and subtle in flavor. The texture of this soup is rich without being heavy, so be sure to serve it with a side of warm bread. This will make you feel full and warm on even the coldest of the days.
Garlicky Cauliflower and Parsnip Winter Soup [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 1/2 a garlic bulb
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus about 1 tablespoon, for frying the onion
- A pinch of salt
- 1 white onion
- 1 small cauliflower (about 1 pound)
- 1 pound of parsnips
- 6 cups of filtered water
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- A generous sprinkle of coarsely ground black pepper
For the Garnish:
- Fresh herbs, such as parsley or coriander
- Sliced almonds
- Vegan pesto
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Take 1/2 garlic bulb and separate each clove from one another. keeping the skin on. Place the garlic cloves on a baking tray tined with non-stick baking paper, drizzle them with the olive oil, and sprinkle with some salt.
- Roast them in the pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes, or until their skin is crispy, but not burnt, and their insides are soft.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool until you can easily handle them. When cooled, peel the garlic cloves and discard the skins. Set aside.
- As the garlic cloves are roasting, peel and dice the onion.
- Wash the cauliflower, removing the leaves and cut into small-ish dices. Then wash and peel the parsnips, then dice.
- In a large pot over a medium heat, fry the diced onion in about 1 tablespoon of oil. Add a pinch or two of salt as well.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the diced cauliflower, parsnips, and water, and bring to a boil. Then cover the pot, reduce the heat, and let everything simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are nice and soft and you can easily pinch them with a fork. Once done, remove from the pot from stove.
- Now add the tamari and the roasted garlic cloves to the pot. Place the entire content of the pot in a blender and blend until the soup is nice and creamy. Taste the soup to see if you require more salt or pepper.