In this recipe, oven-roasted garlic, cauliflower, and parsnips are puréed together to create a soup that's smooth, creamy, and subtle in flavor. The texture of this soup is rich without being heavy, so be sure to serve it with a side of warm bread. This will make you feel full and warm on even the coldest of the days.
Garlicky Cauliflower and Parsnip Winter Soup [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Garlicky Cauliflower and Parsnip Winter Soup [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 1/2 a garlic bulb
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus about 1 tablespoon, for frying the onion
- A pinch of salt
- 1 white onion
- 1 small cauliflower (about 1 pound)
- 1 pound of parsnips
- 6 cups of filtered water
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- A generous sprinkle of coarsely ground black pepper
For the Garnish:
- Fresh herbs, such as parsley or coriander
- Sliced almonds
- Vegan pesto
How to Prepare Garlicky Cauliflower and Parsnip Winter Soup [Vegan]
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Take 1/2 garlic bulb and separate each clove from one another. keeping the skin on. Place the garlic cloves on a baking tray tined with non-stick baking paper, drizzle them with the olive oil, and sprinkle with some salt.
- Roast them in the pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes, or until their skin is crispy, but not burnt, and their insides are soft.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool until you can easily handle them. When cooled, peel the garlic cloves and discard the skins. Set aside.
- As the garlic cloves are roasting, peel and dice the onion.
- Wash the cauliflower, removing the leaves and cut into small-ish dices. Then wash and peel the parsnips, then dice.
- In a large pot over a medium heat, fry the diced onion in about 1 tablespoon of oil. Add a pinch or two of salt as well.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the diced cauliflower, parsnips, and water, and bring to a boil. Then cover the pot, reduce the heat, and let everything simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are nice and soft and you can easily pinch them with a fork. Once done, remove from the pot from stove.
- Now add the tamari and the roasted garlic cloves to the pot. Place the entire content of the pot in a blender and blend until the soup is nice and creamy. Taste the soup to see if you require more salt or pepper.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.