These garlicky mushrooms make a great addition to any barbecue. Ready in no time, these skewered mushrooms are a delicious side to any veggie burger or other grilled vegetables. It's easy to make a big batch of these and take them along to a potluck to be used as a side, or make a big batch and serve the leftovers cold throughout the week in sandwiches, salads, or antipasti plates.
Garlicky Barbecue Mushroom Kebabs [Vegan]
- 12 Chestnut mushrooms
- 12 Button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup olive oil, or oil of your preference
- 1 handful of parsley, about 1/2 cup tightly packed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Choose mushrooms that are about the same size. This is not just for looks, but also to make sure they are evenly cooked. If they differ too much in size, you will end up with some who are burnt while others are still not cooked.
- Remove any soil with a kitchen cloth or mushroom brush if you have one. Carefully thread them onto metal skewers, which are thinner and cause less breaking. If you use wooden skewers, you have to soak them in water for about 30 minutes before you skewer the mushroom caps. Soaking the wooden sticks prevents the skewers catching fire while you barbecue your mushrooms.
- In a blender or small food processor, combine the rest of the ingredients and blend at high speed. Brush the mushrooms from one side with the green marinade. Turn them over and brush the other side. Let them sit in the refrigerator until the barbecue is ready.
- Barbecue the skewers over medium heat for 10-15 minutes.