An easy Asian-inspired soup with tofu to fill you up. plain tofu can sometimes be kind of bland (sorry, tofu, but it’s true). In this recipe, however, the neutral taste of tofu plays well against the miso and garlic. Hooray for an old vegan staple!
Garlic Miso and Onion Soup [Vegan]
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 (1-pound) block silken tofu, diced
- 1⁄3 cup miso
- Combine all ingredients except miso in a large stockpot over medium-high heat, and bring to a simmer (liquid should be moving, but no bubbles should be forming). Cook for 12 minutes.
- Add miso. Simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes until miso is dissolved all the way through. And you’re finished!