If you like mushrooms, you’ll love this dish. I like to serve these over pasta, rice, mashed potatoes, toast….the list goes on. You can use any mushrooms, though our favorite is portobello, crimini, or chanterelles as you see in the picture. But regular ol’ white button mushrooms would work great as well. The key to delicious mushrooms is to cook them over medium heat until they release their water and start to crisp up a bit. At that point you can add lots of chopped garlic, a splash of white wine if you like, and a generous pinch of thyme. Salt and pepper to taste and they’re ready to devour!
Garlic and Thyme Pan Seared Mushrooms [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Garlic and Thyme Pan Seared Mushrooms [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 lb mushrooms of choice; crimini, portobello, white button, chanterelle, shiitake, etc., sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon thyme, fresh is great, but dried is fine too
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or use nonstick pan
- 2 tablespoons of white wine, optional
- 2 tablespoon fresh chives or green onions, finely chopped, optional
How to Prepare Garlic and Thyme Pan Seared Mushrooms [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Gently heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, or if skipping oil, heat a non-stick pan. When hot, add mushrooms and cook for a good 5-10 minutes, occasionally stirring, depending on the water content of the mushroom you're using. (White button and crimini cook fastest, chanterelle, shiitake, and portobello take a bit longer)
- When mushrooms have begun to release their water, continue stirring until they begin to brown.
- Add white wine if using, or skip and add the garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Cook an additional minute or two to mellow the garlic, and get it nice and golden. Take care not to let the garlic burn.
- Season to taste and sprinkle with chives or green onions just before serving.
- Enjoy on toast, over pasta, rice, as a side, or served as a nice appetizer.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving (For Four): Calories: 38 | Carbs: 2 g | Fat: 4 g | Protein: 1 g | Sodium: 4 mg | Sugar: 1 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.