This cashew-based cream cheese can be whipped up in a cinch! Simply blend the soaked nuts with basil, thyme, sea salt, garlic, and a few other ingredients to create a flavorful herbed cream cheese. You can crumble this cheese and use it as a salad topper, spread some on bread, crackers, or veggie patties, or layer it onto pizza – the list of options is endless!
Garlic and Herb Cream Cheese [Vegan]
- 1 cup cashews, soaked 2-12 hours
- A big handful of fresh basil
- A small sprig of thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil or other oil of your choice
- Water, if needed
- After soaking the nuts, drain and rinse them well.
- Add the nuts in blender with the other ingredients, except the oil.
- Blend the mixture very well until it is super smooth.
- If the mixture looks too dry, add a little bit of water.
- Add the oil when you’re sure the cheese looks creamy, buttery, and smooth. Check the taste.
- If you have time, leave the cheese to set so that more flavors develop.
- Put a cloth on a strainer and refrigerate it.