This salad is a creamy umami bomb of earthy deliciousness that's perfect for dinner or lunch — and for leftovers the next day! Pasta is tossed with shredded kale, blanched broccoli and zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and plenty of fresh herbs, then topped with a simple, healthy, and citrus-y dressing. It's easy to prepare and can be done the day before so it's ready to go when you want.
Garden Picnic Pasta Salad with Veggies, Herbs, and Orange-Miso Tahini Dressing [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Garden Picnic Pasta Salad with Veggies, Herbs, and Orange-Miso Tahini Dressing [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Salad:
- 2 small zucchinis, thinly sliced into half-moons
- 2 cups bite-sized broccoli florets
- 1 cup coarsely diced onion
- 3 cups lightly packed bite-size, hand-torn kale (rinsed and cleaned)
- 1 pound whole-grain or gluten-free fusilli pasta, cooked and rinsed
- 1 14-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup lightly packed coarsely chopped parsley
- 1/4 lightly packed coarsely chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups orange-miso tahini dressing (recipe below)
For the Orange-Miso Tahini Dressing:
- 1 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (from 2-3 oranges)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup white miso
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
How to Prepare Garden Picnic Pasta Salad with Veggies, Herbs, and Orange-Miso Tahini Dressing [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Salad:
- Fill medium saucepan three-quarters full of water, bring to boil, and add zucchini, broccoli, and onion. Blanch for 3 minutes until tender and the colors pop vibrantly. Just before draining, mix in torn kale. Remove from heat, strain, and rinse with cold water until cooled.
- In a large bowl, combine freshly cooled, rinsed, and drained pasta, chickpeas, cooked and raw vegetables, pine nuts, herbs, garlic, and half the dressing. Mix in additional dressing until creamy and the consistency you like. Save leftover dressing for later use, refresh, or serve on the side.
To Make the Dressing:
- Add all ingredients to bowl or blender and mix well to incorporate. It may be done the night before and can keep in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.
The dressing makes 3 cups.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Nutritional info for per salad serving: 510 calories | 18g total fat | 2g saturated fat | 0mg cholesterol | 350mg sodium | 76g total carbs | 5g dietary fiber | 9g sugar | 1g added sugar | 22g protein | 5mg iron Nutritional info per 2 tablespoons dressing: 70 calories | 5g total fat | 0.5g saturated fat | 0mg cholesterol | 80mg sodium | 4g total carbs | 0g dietary fiber | 1g sugar | 0.5g added sugar | 2g protein | 1mg ironNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.