This was one of the best vegan replacements for egg omelets I have tried so far. Similar in texture, taste and feel but much richer and cleaner, it makes for a delicious and nutritious breakfast with all of the protein and none of the cholesterol. This recipe is reprinted with permission from Power Vegan Meals by Maya Sozer, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017.
Garbanzo Bean Flour Omelets [Vegan, Soy-Free, Gluten-Free]
For the Omelet Batter:
- 1 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
To Cook and Serve:
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or olive oil, divided
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- Handful of mixed greens
- 4 cherry tomatoes, chopped or sliced
- Red pepper flakes
- In a bowl, thoroughly stir together the omelet batter ingredients with 1 cup of water.
- Heat 3⁄4 teaspoon of the coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Pour one-quarter of the omelet batter into the pan and cook each side until it turns golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Repeat three times to cook the rest of the batter.
- Serve with avocado, greens, tomatoes and red pepper flakes.
- This recipe is reprinted with permission from Power Vegan Meals by Maya Sozer, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017. Photos by Maya Sozer.