Chocolate, balsamic vinegar (the good stuff), berries, and basil. And oatmeal, but that was implied, right?
Fudgy Balsamic Oatmeal With Strawberry-Basil Relish [Vegan]
For Fudgy Balsamic Oatmeal
- 3/4 cup milk of choice, or water*
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel cut oats*
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar**
- pinch of salt
- optional sweetener, such as maple syrup, to taste (start with 1/2 teaspoon)
For Strawberry-Basil Relish
- 2-3 fresh strawberries
- 1-2 fresh basil leaves
- Bring milk to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to simmer. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Add strawberries, cocoa powder, balsamic, and salt, and let simmer for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare the Strawberry-Basil Relish: while oatmeal is simmering, dice strawberries into small pieces, like the size of a typical pickle relish. Mince the fresh basil. Toss together and set aside.
- Back to the oatmeal: once more of the liquid has absorbed, taste, and add optional sweetener if desired.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice and top with Strawberry-Basil Relish.