It’s apple season, so I hope you’ll get the chance to bake these muffins with all your freshly picked apples.
Fruit-Sweetened Apple Muffins [Vegan]
- 2 medium apples, finely shredded
- 1 large overripe banana
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or other neutral tasting oil)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened soy milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease your muffin pan with oil or butter/margarine. You could use muffin liners instead if preferred.
- Mash the banana in a medium mixing bowl. Finely shred the apples (don't worry if they brown a little when exposed to air).
- Add the finely shredded apples, oil, milk and vanilla to the bowl with the banana and whisk everything together.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Transfer the mixture to your greased muffin pan, making 12 muffins. Top with roughly chopped walnuts, making sure to push them lightly in the batter. This helps them stick to the muffin once cooked. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let them cool a few minutes before removing from the pan.
These muffins aren't very sweet as they don't contain added sugar. For that reason, I love them served with nut butter or even jam for a healthy, naturally sweetened snack or breakfast!