This is the best vegan french toast recipe out there! Sometimes it's fun to reserve for special occasions, but it's so good you may not be able to. While traditional french toast uses eggs, this vegan french toast recipe uses coconut milk, flour, and the classic flavors for dipping the toast in. You can use any type of bread, but day-old sourdough is truly magnificent in this recipe. You and your family are going to fall in love after the first bite.
French Toast [Vegan]
- Loaf of day-old sourdough, sliced into approximately 12 thick slices.
- 1 can coconut milk (about 14 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Oil for greasing the griddle (coconut oils works great
- Start by making sure the bread is sliced and ready to go.
- Pre-heat a griddle to 325–350°F, and coat with oil. If you don’t have a griddle a greased pan over medium-low heat will work.
- Add to a medium shallow dish coconut milk, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, and vanilla extract, whisk well.
- Working near the hot griddle or pan, dip a slice of bread into the coconut mixture, flip to coat the second side, then place right onto the griddle. Flip the bread over to cook the second side when the edges are bubbling and the bottom is golden brown. Repeat for each slice of bread being careful not to overcrowd the griddle or pan at once.
- Add your favorite toppings such as maple syrup, vegan butter substitute, fresh berries, banana, or a sprinkling of cinnamon. My personal favorite is vegan butter and a drizzle of maple syrup