These veggie burgers are nothing to sniff at. Made from lentils and tofu, they're packed with protein and plenty of spicy, savory flavor (plus, you can choose to fry or bake them, if you want to keep it oil-free!). Then, they're served with a schmear of vegan mayonnaise, tomato, lettuce, and two unique toppings: sliced celeriac that's been pan-fried in soy sauce and meaty sautéed mushrooms. Yum!
French Lentil and Mushroom Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Burgers:
- 1 cup of dry green lentils (French lentils)
- 3.5 ounces tofu
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 garlic clove
- 2-3 tablespoons bread crumbs (panko or gluten-free)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Celeriac, sliced thin and cooked in soy sauce
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Parsley green
- Soak lentils in water for 3 hours prior to beginning. Rinse, add lentils to a pot with 2 cups water, and cook until soft. Once cooked, drain excess water and transfer to a large, deep bowl.
- In a frying pan, heat oil. Cook onion for a few minutes, then add spices and garlic and cook until the onion is golden. Add to the bowl with the lentils.
- Crumble tofu and add to the bowl.
- Using a hand beater or blender, blend the ingredients until combined. Add tomato purée, bread crumbs, and season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- With damp hands, form your burgers. Either fry in a skillet until golden on both sides or bake at 355°F for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Prepare your topping ingredients and serve immediately.