This is one of my all time favorites. My mom introduced me to this salad a couple of years ago and I have been completely hooked ever since. It’s easy, quick, and is guaranteed to impress. Black or “Forbidden Rice” is one of those grains that pairs well with a plethora of dishes. I personally love using it in salads. It has a roasted nutty flavor and pairs well with all sorts of veggies and greens.The ginger miso dressing is one of my most used dressings thanks to this salad, and it goes SO well with the sweet potatoes and nutty rice. Just try it. I promise you will love it.
Forbidden Rice Salad [Vegan]
- 1 cup forbidden rice, uncooked
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 3 scallions
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 3 Tablespoons walnuts
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- juice of half lemon
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (sherry or ACV)
- 3 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon miso
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Boil the rice according to package directions or until soft, but not mushy (approx 25 min), let cool.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into ½ chunks. Use steamer basket (if you don't have one, get creative- mine broke this week and I used a metal colander, worked perfectly!) and steam until potatoes are soft, but again, not mushy (5-7 min, depending on your steaming method). Let cool.
- While rice and potatoes are cooling, make the dressing. Mix all ingredients and beat with fork until emulsified.
- Chop walnuts into ½ inch chunks and add to warm pan. Toast until nuts are fragrant and slightly darker (be careful not to burn!) Once done, cool and add to mixing bowl.
- Chop scallions into fine pieces and add to mixing bowl along with the rest of the ingredients. Add the dressing and mix very well. Add herbs to garnish if you wish (I added a tiny bit of dill), as well as salt and pepper.
This salad is actually even more amazing if it sits for a bit, so let it hang out overnight if you can! (It’s still awesome otherwise)
- Black Rice
- Purple Foods
- Sweet Potato
You have coconut oil listed as an ingredient, but then it is never referenced in the recipe. Where do you use it? I\’m looking forward to trying this recipe. I bought a big bag of black rice from Costco and haven\’t used any of it!