This is a really easy vegan focaccia bread to make using only 4 simple ingredients – Roma tomatoes, onions, rosemary, and olive oil. The bread is soft and pillowy. The olive oil made all the difference in the world and made the crust really golden and crispy.
Focaccia With Roma Tomatoes and Onions [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 1 packet active dry yeast (or 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm water, distilled or purified
- 1 teaspoon cane sugar
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, to mix into the dough
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle into holes in dough
For the Topping:
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary, needles removed from the stem
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle over the toppings
To Make the Dough:
- In a medium bowl, mix yeast, warm water, and sugar.
- Let the mixture rest for approximately 10 minutes until it the yeast "blooms" and bubbles form on the top.
- Add in the flour, salt and 1/4 cup of olive oil and stir until well combined.
- Turn the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead gently until the dough is smooth, approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a kitchen towel.
- Let the dough rest in a warm place (or dehydrator set at 100°F) until it doubles in size, for approximately 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and press down into a lightly oiled 9x13-inch baking sheet until it touches the edges (or divide between 2 six inch cake pans for a thicker version).
- Using your fingers, poke holes all over the dough.
- Drizzle the other 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the dough and into the holes.
- Let the dough rest until it becomes puffy, or approximately 20 minutes.
To Make the Topping:
- Add the onion slices, sliced Roma tomatoes, and rosemary on top of the dough.
- Drizzle the toppings with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Bake at 450°F for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack before serving.