These Vegan Sourdough Pancakes are so fluffy, light, and perfectly soft. With a hint of tanginess from the sourdough and a touch of sweetness from coconut sugar. The blend of whole wheat and almond flour give these pancakes a fluffy texture and nutty flavor.
Fluffy Sourdough Pancakes [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup fresh sourdough starter
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To a large mixing bowl, whisk together sourdough starter, milk, and flours until smooth. Cover with a towel and let sit at room temperature for 30 min-1 hour. The longer you let it sit out the more ripe the flavor will be. Preferably, let it sit out overnight, but if you're impatient like me then 30 minutes will do.
- In a small bowl, combine flax seed meal and water. Let sit for 5 min. Then add flax egg to the bowl with the starter along with the rest of the ingredients. Stir until a smooth and slightly thick batter forms.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add a dollop of coconut oil to prevent sticking. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto the skillet. Spread to a circle with the back of the spoon if needed. Cook until the edges start to become matte (about 1 1/2 minutes). Flip and cook for an additional minute or until golden brown on each side.
- Top with preferred toppings, such as berry compote, fresh fruit, and/or maple syrup.
- Almond Flour