These flourless zucchini fritters are inspired by a South Asian dish called “pokora” or “pokoda," commonly made with chickpea flour, vegetables, and Indian spices. In this recipe, chickpea flour is blended with zucchini, cilantro, coriander, and chili powder, and then pan fried with coconut oil. These fritters stick to zucchini but you could also add other veggies like spinach, cauliflower, or broccoli. Serve with some flavorful aioli for a fun and healthy snack!
Flourless Zucchini Fritters [Vegan]
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate seed powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2-1 chili, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Coconut oil, for pan frying
- Add the chickpea flour with all of the spices into a bowl and mix well.
- Add the cilantro, onion, and zucchini, and mix.
- Add the water and mix until it is nicely combined. Add the baking powder and mix again.
- Heat up a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil and wait until the pan is out.
- Using a 1/3 cup, pour the chickpea batter onto the pan and wait a couple of minutes.
- Flip and do the same on the other side, it should be a golden brown color.
- Continue until you are done the batter. Serve.