This cauliflower is covered in a sauce made from vegetables and spices and then fermented in a mason jar for a few days. The result is a heaping quantity of soft, flavorful florets that are sweet and sour. The perfect way to serve these vegetables is on a bed of warm rice with steamed broccoli.
Fermented Sweet and Sour Cauliflower [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup celeriac
- 1/8 cup parsnip
- 1/8 cup salt
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon rice flour, or 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Blend together all of the sauce ingredients.
- Pull apart the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix together the cauliflower and sauce in a mixing bowl.
- Stuff the cauliflower tightly into a sanitized quart sized mason jar and cover with either a metal band lid or an airlock lid.
- Ferment on the counter for 2-4 days, releasing some of the carbon dioxide twice a day.
- Once done, store in the refrigerator.