This cauliflower is covered in a sauce made from vegetables and spices and then fermented in a mason jar for a few days. The result is a heaping quantity of soft, flavorful florets that are sweet and sour. The perfect way to serve these vegetables is on a bed of warm rice with steamed broccoli.
Fermented Sweet and Sour Cauliflower [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Fermented Sweet and Sour Cauliflower [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup celeriac
- 1/8 cup parsnip
- 1/8 cup salt
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon rice flour, or 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
How to Prepare Fermented Sweet and Sour Cauliflower [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Blend together all of the sauce ingredients.
- Pull apart the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix together the cauliflower and sauce in a mixing bowl.
- Stuff the cauliflower tightly into a sanitized quart sized mason jar and cover with either a metal band lid or an airlock lid.
- Ferment on the counter for 2-4 days, releasing some of the carbon dioxide twice a day.
- Once done, store in the refrigerator.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.