Are you a soda person? This homemade fermented ginger beer is the recipe for you whether you're a big fan or a minor one! It tastes incredibly fresh and is quite simple to put together!
Fermented Ginger Beer [Vegan]
For the Ginger Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 4 tablespoons minced ginger
For the Ginger Beer:
- 1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ginger simple syrup (above)
- 7 cups filtered water
- fresh mint
- Make the ginger simple. Combine the sugar, water, and minced ginger in a small saucepan over high heat. Stir until the sugar is fully dissolved. Remove from heat, cover the pot, and let the syrup steep for 1 hour.
- Strain the simple syrup into a small bowl to remove the ginger.
- Funnel the yeast into a clean, dry 2-liter soda bottle. Then, add the fresh lemon juice, strained simple syrup, and filtered water. Screw the lid on tight and shake the bottle to dissolve the yeast.
- Set the bottle in a cool, dark place (away from sunlight) for 3 days. After 3 days, carefully open the bottle to release pressure. Chill the bottle in the fridge to slow down the fermentation. Drink the ginger beer within 2 weeks time, making sure to open the bottle once every day or two to prevent pressure from causing the bottle to explode.