This recipe is sure to become a fall favorite! Enjoy with coffee, tea, or later in the day with a glass of wine. These beautiful scones are perfect for family gatherings or even just for a breakfast on the go!
Fall Pomegranate Scones [Vegan]
8 large scones or 16 mini scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, solid
- 1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk, cold
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2cupcoconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- The zest of 1 lemon
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices. Stir.
- Add the solid coconut oil to the flour mixture and cut it into the flour using a fork.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon of coconut milk in a small bowl. Then, add the rest of the coconut milk, maple syrup, molasses, and vanilla extract to the flour mixture. Stir only until combined. Fold in pomegranate seeds.
- Dust a flat surface with flour and put dump the dough on top. Flatten it slightly with your palms and fold in half. Rotate 90° and fold once more. Continue the flattening and folding motion 3 more times or until the dough is no longer sticky, nor dry.
- Shape the dough into a round about 8-inch in diameter. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into eighths. Slice each of the eighths in half for small scones or leave whole for large scones.
- Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet and brush with the 1 tablespoon of coconut milk set aside earlier and press coconut flakes onto the top of each scone. Pop the scones into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the bottoms and sides are golden.
- Let cool on a wire rack. Then, stir the powdered sugar with the lemon juice and zest to create a glaze to drizzle over the top of the cooled scones.
Keep in a covered container for up to 5 days.