There is nothing better than freshly made pita bread. Soft and pillowy and freshly warm. Pair it with a delicious falafel recipe, tzatziki sauce, and some fresh veggies and you got yourself the perfect vegan greek gyro.
Falafel With Tzatziki Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 can rinsed/drained chickpeas
- 1/2 chopped yellow onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt
- 1/3 cup grated cucumber
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse together all ingredients except flour until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in flour until incorporated. Refrigerate for 30 min.
- Take 2 tbsp of mixture at a time and roll into balls (lightly flour your hands for this method), or use an ice cream scoop. Space evenly on the baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 min. or until golden brown.
- While falafels are baking, prepare the sauce. Whisk together all the ingredients until smooth.
- Serve falafels in pita bread with chopped lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumber. Drizzle on the tzatziki sauce. Enjoy!