There is only one thing better than a good sandwich and that is a great sandwich. This recipe will provide you with the blueprint to the perfect sandwich. The baked eggplant melds seamlessly with the avocado and tomatoes and the whole thing is tied together with a zesty pesto.
Eggplant Pesto Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Eggplant Pesto Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 slices gluten-free bread
- 1 tablespoon pesto
- 1/2 small eggplant, cut into rounds
- 1/2 small tomato, sliced
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Coconut oil, for baking sheet
- Sea salt
- 3 cups of loosely packed basil
- 2 cups of loosely packed spinach
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1/4-1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of pine nuts
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Eggplant Pesto Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease your baking sheet with oil.
- Place the eggplant rounds on the baking sheet and sprinkle them with sea salt.
- Bake them for 10 minutes, and then flip and bake for 10 additional minutes.
- To make the pesto, add all ingredients except for the olive oil into a blender.
- Blend on a low speed, slowly drizzling the olive oil into the blender until desired consistency is reached.
- Spread the pesto onto the slices of bread.
- Layer the eggplant, tomato, and avocado and then put the sandwich together.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.