The crust for this recipe is thin and crispy, making it strong enough to hold all of the delicious toppings. Once it's topped with sautéed eggplant slices, some sliced mini sweet peppers, olives, and vegan cheese, this hummus pizza is ready for the oven. This pizza is also perfect as an "emergency" food for when you're short on time because leftovers (if there are any) freeze well.
Eggplant Hummus Pizza on a Mixed Grain Crust [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Mix:
- 9 ounces brown rice flour
- 9 ounces millet flour
- 9 ounces sweet rice flour
- 9 ounces white rice flour
- 3 ounces cornstarch
- 3 ounces potato starch
- 3 ounces tapioca starch
For the Pizza Crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour (recipe above)
- 1 teaspoon psyllium husk powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
For the Toppings:
To Make the Pizza Crust:
- Whisk the flour, psyllium husk, salt, and yeast in a mixing bowl. Add water and olive oil and use a spatula or clean hand to form the dough. Cover the mixing bowl and let the dough rise in a warm place for 4 hours.
- Generously dust a working surface with some gluten-free flour and transfer the yeast dough onto the surface. Roll the dough gently to form a smooth ball and then flatten the ball to form a disc. Use a rolling pin to form the dough into a disc, approximately 12 inches in diameter.
- Use a pastry brush to brush off the excess flour on the dough surface. Gently fold the pizza dough disk in half, and then half again, making a triangle. Transfer the triangle onto a lightly dusted pizza pan and then unfold the triangle.
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF. Bake the pizza crust in the bottom rack for 20 minutes and then on the middle rack for 10 minutes, until the edge of the pizza crust turn golden brown.
To Make the Pizza:
- While the pizza crust is baking, heat a sauté pan over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil when the pan is hot. Roast the sliced eggplant in the pan over medium heat, 2 minutes on each side, until the eggplant slices are slightly wilted. Set aside.
- Remove the pizza pan from the oven. Spoon the spicy hummus into the center of the baked pizza crust and use a spatula to spread it out to the edges. Arrange roasted eggplant slices, peppers, and olives on the pizza. Top with vegan cheese.
- Bump up your oven to its highest temperature and bake for 3 minutes, or until the bell peppers are soft and cheese is melty.