Goulash is an old dish, originating from the medieval Kingdom of Hungary. In this new take on goulash, eggplant is cooked with savory tomato sauce with an extra special touch of tangy rhubarb and pomegranate jam. This flavorful dish is served on a bed of creamy polenta.
Eggplant Goulash With Polenta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Polenta:
- 1 heaping cup polenta
- 3 cups water
For the Goulash:
- 1 eggplant
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 14.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 stalks of rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate jelly
- Olive oil
- Fresh coriander
- Dice eggplant and fry with oil, salt, and chopped onion in a large pot.
- Add peeled and diced rhubarb and chopped garlic after about 5 minutes. Stir constantly and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, boil 1 large cup of polenta with 3 cups of water and a little broth, and let it soak at low heat.
- Stir in the pomegranate paste and leave to stand on a low heat until the polenta is ready.
- Garnish with some fresh coriander.