This recipe is totally veganized and gluten-free. It's also tremendously addictive (but in a good way), and is made with roasted eggplant, vegan cheese and greens, along with homemade sauce. You can feel free to add in plant-based ‘meaty’ elements, too, if you wish. Ideas include chickpeas or lentils, tempeh bacon, and even roasted sweet potato would be great rolled up in these, especially if you’re looking to up the indulgence factor.
Eggplant Cannelloni [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 6 long strips
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large can whole or diced tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
To Roasting the Eggplant:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Brush eggplant with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Spread eggplant on foil-lined baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes then flip and cook 15 minutes more.
To Make the Sauce:
- Heat oil and add spices.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook until fragrant.
- Remove half the onions and garlic and set aside.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Remove eggplant from the oven and reduce heat to 295°F.
- Spread out eggplant on a cutting board or clean work surface.
- Place a small spoonful of cheese and a scoop of reserved onion mixture onto one end of each eggplant slice and roll up longways so filling is enclosed.
- Place in casserole dish and spoon sauce over the top.
- Transfer casserole to the oven and bake for 20 minutes until cheese melts and cannelloni are heated through.
- Serve immediately.