Better than takeout egg rolls! These crispy bites are made using spring roll wrappers and are filled with wood ear mushrooms, baby bok choy, Napa cabbage, carrots, and water chestnuts. These rolls are great when dipped in this homemade, vegan duck sauce.
‘Egg’ Rolls With Homemade Duck Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Filling:
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup finely shredded savoy or Napa cabbage
- 1 cup finely shredded baby bok choy
- 1/2 cup Wood Ear mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup sliced water chestnuts, finely chopped
For the Wrappers:
- 12 brown rice spring roll wrappers
For the Glaze:
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon molasses
For the Duck Sauce:
- 1/2 cup sugar-free apricot jam
- 6 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a 15×13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the filling: Heat the garlic and coconut aminos in a medium sauté pan over medium heat and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the ginger, salt, cabbage, bok choy, mushrooms, carrot, and water chestnuts and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables wilt a little and become slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- To prepare the wrappers, pour warm water into a 9-inch cake pan. Place one round brown rice wrapper in the water and let it sit until it turns soft, about 1 minute.
- Place the softened wrapper on the prepared baking sheet and spread about 2 tablespoons of the filling across the bottom of the wrapper, widthwise. Fold the right and left sides in, and start rolling the wrapper from the side closest to you, upward. Keep tucking in the edges as you go along, and roll it tightly.
- To make the glaze: Whisk together the coconut aminos and molasses in a small bowl. Brush the egg rolls on top and on the sides, and then bake them until they are crisp, about 25 minutes.
- To make the duck sauce: Whisk together the jam, coconut aminos, vinegar, mustard, and orange juice in a small bowl.
- Serve the egg rolls immediately with the duck sauce on the side.
From Sweet, Savory, and Free by Debbie Adler https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Savory-Free-Delicious-Plant-Based/dp/1944648046/?tag=onegrepla-20