Fresh edamame and Asian vegetables are used to create a delicious green burger served with a zesty Cilantro-Wasabi Aioli. These unique and popular burgers are wholesome and easy to prepare, and they always get rave reviews.
Edamame Burger With Cilantro Wasabi Aioli [Vegan]
- 4 cups frozen shelled edamame, cooked
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetable stir-fry blend, thawed
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 whole wheat burger buns
- 6 green-leaf lettuce leaves
- 1½ cups sprouts
- ¾ cup Cilantro-Wasabi Aioli
- ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked in water to cover for 2–3 hours, then drained
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup silken tofu
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pureed ginger
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Soaking the cashews in water for a few hours will reduce blending time. If you are not using a Vitamix, I highly recommend soaking the cashews so they blend into a smooth and creamy texture.
- Combine all the ingredients in a Vitamix or other high-powered blender and process on high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Remove from the blender and chill to thicken. Serve chilled.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the cooked edamame and thawed stir-fry blend into a food processor. Pulse multiple times until the ingredients are well blended. It should be green and have a fine consistency similar to that of short-grain rice.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax meal and water. Allow to sit for 2–3 minutes.
- Remove the vegetable mixture from the food processor and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the flax mixture and fold together.
- Add the orange juice, soy sauce, agave, Dijon, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and lemon juice to the vegetables and mix well.
- Form into 6 patties and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10–15 minutes. Flip and continue baking for an additional 10–15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the burgers to set for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve on a whole wheat bun topped with lettuce, sprouts, and Cilantro-Wasabi Aioli.