Rich chocolate cupcakes, with biscuit bases and fluffy marshmallow meringue toppings. These cakes are quick & easy to make and turn out perfect each time. The cookie base gives a nice crunch when mixed with all of the other textures works beautifully. The meringue frosting on top is great to toast. Add a drizzle of dairy-free chocolate and cookie crumbles to finish off these decadent cakes.
Easy S’mores Cupcakes [Vegan]
Ingredients for the Base:
- 3 1/2 ounces of biscuits
- 1/2 ounce of dairy-free butter
Ingredients for the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup of dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups of self-raising flour
- 1/2 of golden caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa/cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 cups of coconut oil (Melted)
Ingredients for the Marshmallow Meringue:
- 4 1/2 of aquafaba
- 2/3 cup of golden caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of cream of tartar
- Melted dairy-free chocolate
- Mini vegan marshmallows
To make the Base:
- Line 2 cupcake trays with cupcake cases.
- Add the biscuits into a food processor and whizz up until crumb-like.
- Pour the crumbled biscuits into a mixing bowl.
- Place the butter into a small saucepan on low and heat until fully melted.
- Pour the butter mixture into the crumbled biscuits and stir until it resembles wet sand.
- Add a tablespoon of the base mixture into each cupcake case, and press down until compact then set aside. Repeat for all of the cases.
To make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the dairy-free with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined. Set aside for 10 minutes to curdle. This creates a vegan 'buttermilk'.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, cocoa/cacao powder, baking powder and baking soda. Mix well to combine.
- Add the melted coconut oil to the 'buttermilk' and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until a smooth batter.
- Fill the cases 3/4 full with the batter.
- Make sure to tap the tins on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
- Pop the cakes into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and they are springy to the touch.
- Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully. Once cool, pop them into a sealed container to keep them fresh before frosting.
To make the Meringue:
- Drain the aquafaba from a can of chickpeas and place into a bowl. Whizz up on high until foamy. You can use an electric hand whisk.
- Add in the sugar and continue to whip up until stiff meringue peaks forms.
- When thick & glossy, add in the vanilla and cream of tartar.
- Pop the meringue into a piping bag fitted with a French patisserie tip nozzle.
- When the cupcakes are cool, pipe a swirl of meringue onto each cake.
- Top off with a drizzle of melted dark chocolate, vegan marshmallows and crumbled cookies. You could even toast the meringue.