Spaghetti squash are really easy to make and full of so many health benefits. If you aren't quite sure how to prepare them, this recipe is perfect. It's a real winner. These Easy Mexican Spaghetti Squash Boats are a delicious way to incorporate cancer-fighting winter squash! Plus, they make great leftovers.
Easy Mexican Spaghetti Squash Boats [Vegan]
For the Boats:
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup corn (we prefer frozen & organic)
- 1, 15 ounces can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1, 15 ounces can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 1, 10 ounces can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 lime
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Avocado Oil Spray, optional
For the Taco Seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- While the oven is preheating, cut your spaghetti squash in half. Once it is cut in half (the hardest part of this recipe!), scoop out the insides.
- Next, make the taco seasoning. Add all taco seasoning ingredients to a small dish and mix together well. Set aside.
- Lightly spray each half of the spaghetti squash with avocado oil spray (optional). Sprinkle 1 teaspoon (total) of the finished taco seasoning on both halves of the spaghetti squash.
- Once the oven is preheated, lay both halves of the squash flat side down on a pan. Bake for approximately 40 minutes, depending on the size of your squash. You’ll know when the squash is done when the sides easily pull away with a fork.
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the insides. Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add the diced onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 6-7 minutes. If the onions begin to stick, add water or vegetable broth 1 tablespoon at a time. (You can view our video here on how to cook onions with this method.)
- Add the minced garlic and saute until the garlic becomes fragrant, about 1 minute. Next, add the red pepper, corn, black beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, and the remainder of the taco seasoning. Cook about 8-10 minutes, until the pepper softens. Stirring frequently.
- When the squash is done, scrape the insides of the squash with a fork, creating the “spaghetti”. Add the squash to the cooked insides and stir until well mixed.
- Add the juice of one lime. Taste and season with salt, pepper, or other seasonings if desired. Add a heaping scoop of the prepared inside to each squash boat. Serve with diced avocado, cilantro, and extra lime. Enjoy!