This is a super easy recipe. If you’ve never had Elote, it’s basically a Mexican street food that consists of grilled corn on the cob, topped with mayonnaise or other sauce and some kind of cheese (though there are a few different variations of it out there). It’s definitely a crowd-pleaser! Here's a vegan version to try instead of the classic.
Easy Elote: Mexican Corn on the Cob [Vegan]
- Cook your corn by either grilling or steaming it. Technically Elote uses grilled corn, but if you don't have access to a grill, you can steam until the corn turns a dark yellow and becomes tender.
- Using a butter knife, spread the vegan mayo on the corn cob until coated.
- Roll your coated corn across a plate or other dish with the vegan bacon bits. You may need to crush the bacon pieces so that they will stick more easily.
- Mix your spices, vegan parmesan, cilantro and pepper in a bowl. While rotating the corn, sprinkle on the mixture until it sticks between the vegan bacon. Press into it if needed, so the toppings stick.
- Serve with corn cob holders or skewers and enjoy!
You may want to cut the corn in half after cooking just to make it easier to add the toppings