What's one thing you've been missing in your life? An easy buñuelos recipe! These Mexican fritters are golden and crispy on the outside, but light and tender on the inside. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar for the perfect holiday-inspired treat no matter what time of year!
Easy Buñuelos [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons refined coconut oil, melted
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1-2 cups neutral oil
For the Coating:
- 6 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and whisk together. Add both the melted oil and water to the dry ingredients and stir together.
- Next, remove the dough from your mixing bowl onto a lightly floured surface. Begin kneading the dough to form a ball that's sticky enough to stay together, but not coming off on your hands. Keep kneading for 10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Note: if the dough appears too crumbly, continue adding a tbsp of water at a time until you are able to form a texture similar to play-dough. If it's too sticky, similarly add a tablespoon of flour while continuing to knead.
- Cut the ball of dough into ~8 smaller pieces. Roll each piece of dough in between your palms until smooth and then flatten slightly. Once they are rolled and flattened, cover with a towel to rest for 30 minutes. In the meantime, line a tray or plate with a paper towel, mix the cinnamon and sugar together and add 1-2 inches of oil to a large stockpot for frying the buñuelos.
- If you have a tortilla press, line it with 2 pieces of plastic. Lightly flour each side of one dough "disc" and place it in the center of the press. Press down to form thin tortillas (they should be almost see-through). Alternatively, you can achieve the same results with a rolling pin on a floured surface.
- Heat the oil to 350-375°F, or until a piece of dough sizzles and floats to the top. Add one buñuelo at a time and fry for 30-45 seconds per side, or until golden. Make sure to push down on the buñuelo with a spoon or spatula to keep the bubbles from growing too big!
- Once cooked, transfer to the paper towel-lined plate or tray to absorb the excess oil. Sprinkle each side with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Repeat until all the buñuelos are cooked, then serve immediately. Happy eating!