Everyone can agree that any time is a good time for cake! This amazing lemon cake is equal parts sweet and refreshing. Shredded coconut adds a fun twist to zesty lemon. Guaranteed to be a hit at your next dinner party!
Double Lemon Naked Cake [Vegan]
1 6-inch 3-layer cake
For the Lemon Cream:
- 2 1/4 cups soy milk, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup, plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Peel of lemon
- 2 ounces vegan butter
- 2 drops lemon essential oil
For the Lemon Cake:
- 1 cup spelt flour, whole
- 1 cup pastry flour, white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup soy milk, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Zest of 1 small or medium lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla powder
- 2-3 drops lemon essential oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Shredded coconut, unsweetened
To Make the Lemon Pastry Cream:
- In a medium saucepan over low-medium heat, stir together the first 2 cups of soy milk, sugar, and lemon peel. Bring to a boil, remove from the heat, discard the lemon peel, and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the cornstarch and the other 1/4 cup of soy milk, mix well using a fork or wire whisk. The soy milk should be at room temperature.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan of infused milk and cook, over low heat, stirring constantly to prevent curdling. Keep whisking using a hand whisk until the mixture thickens to a pudding-like consistency, approximately 5 minutes.
- Once the cream is thick, remove from the heat immediately and stir in the margarine and lemon essential oil. The margarine will quickly melt and add a velvety and smooth finish to the cream. Let cool completely at room temperature, covering the surface of the cream with plastic wrap as this will prevent a skin from forming on the top.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use, preferably overnight.
To Make the Lemon Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF. Lightly grease one 6-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl sift together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir well with a wire whisk to distribute the ingredients.
- Whisk the oil, maple syrup, soy milk, lemon juice and zest, vanilla powder, lemon essential oil, and vinegar in a separate medium bowl until well blended. Pour into the dry mixture and stir with a whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan Tap lightly on the counter to eliminate air bubbles.
- Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until the top of the cake is golden.
- Let the cake cool in the pan, placed on a wire rack, for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and carefully peel off the parchment paper. Invert the cake topside up on the rack and cool completely.
- Wrap the entire cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight before filling and frosting.
To Assemble the Cake:
- Place the cake on a flat surface and cut into three equal layers. Spread the lemon cream over the top of each layer and assemble.
- Sprinkle around 1/4 cup of shredded coconut on top of the cake.
- Store the cake well covered in the refrigerator, cut the slices while still cold. Serve at room temperature.
Pastry cream and cake should be made the day before assembling and refrigerated overnight. Cake recipe adapted from Fran Costigan.