These vegan cookies are soft and moist. The best part about them (other than how delicious they taste) is that they are egg-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, gluten-free, and are made with whole foods. These cookies are also high in fiber and they are easy to digest leaving you feeling energized instead of sluggish.
Date Square Cookies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 25 big, fresh dates, pitted
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour (see notes)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/3 cup vegan butter or coconut oil or sunflower oil
- 1 chia egg (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the pits from 10 dates and soak in hot water leting the dates sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Using a food processor or a blender blend 1/4 cup of the soaking water and the dates.
- Make the Chia Egg by mixing together 1 TBSP whole or ground chia seeds and 3 TBSP water.
- Roughly chop the remaining 15 dates (approx 1 cup).
- Create one cup of oat flour by grinding rolled oats in your coffee grinder, or food processor.
- Mix the oat flour, oats, sea salt and cinnamon together in a medium sized bowl.
- In a small bowl mix the vegan butter, chia egg, and date paste, than add the chopped dates.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Drop spoonfuls onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 12 - 14 minutes.
Oat flour can be easily made by grinding rolled oats in a coffee grinder. Chia egg = 1 tablespoon chia seeds (whole or ground) and 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Mix and set aside for 10 minutes. Oats are gluten-free naturally but often they are contaminated by wheat when being processed. To avoid this potential look for gluten-free oats which are now widely available.