A decadent and rich dark chocolate raspberry cake topped with creamy raspberry frosting and fresh blackberries.
Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 2/3 cup + 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened, plain non-dairy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Raspberry Frosting:
- 1/4 cup frozen raspberries
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1/4- 1/2 cup fresh berries of choice for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together non-dairy milk, non-dairy yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract until creamy. Add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda and powder, and salt. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to combine until a smooth batter forms.
- Evenly distribute batter between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean (a few moist crumbs is ok). Allow cake to cool in the cake pan for 10 minutes before sliding a butter knife around the edges and inverting the cake on to a wire cooling rack. Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting, microwave ¼ cup frozen raspberries for 1 min. 30 seconds or until syrupy. Use a handheld mixer to beat vegan butter, powdered sugar, and milk until thick and creamy. Measure out 1 tbsp of syrup from the microwaved raspberries and beat into the frosting.
- Frost cakes as desired, such as frosting between and on top of the cake layers. Top with fresh berries of choice.