Crispy, crunchy, airy vegetable tempura. Broccolini, asparagus, kale, and sweet potato. A treat for teething toddlers.
Crunchy Veggie Tempura [Vegan]
- 1 handful asparagus
- 1 handful broccolini
- 2 handfuls kale
- 1/2 sweet potato
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups water cold
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooking oil for deep frying
- Wash and cut the vegetables and pat them with a kitchen towel. Vegetables should be dry, not soggy.
- In a plastic bag, combine 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour and 1/2 tsp salt. In a bowl, whisk 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, 1 cup cornstarch, and 2 cups cold water.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan or wok. (Oil will spatter a bit.) In small batches, place the veggies in the plastic bag and shake to coat. Take out one piece at a time, dip it into the liquid batter, and place it in the heated oil. As soon as the veggie hits the oil, tiny bubbles will form around it. If not, the oil isn't hot enough. On the other hand, if the oil is too hot, it can splatter all over so be careful and do not let your toddler near the stove.
- Fry for about 3 minutes until tempura becomes crispy.