This vibrant salad includes three recipes that work together in perfect harmony — a crunchy slaw, a salsa, and a creamy dressing. The slaw is made from fresh carrots, red cabbage, snap peas, dried sliced figs, and fresh orange juice. It's mixed with a creamy sweet potato salsa and a drizzle of a creamy turmeric dressing. Enjoy this crunchy and nutritious slaw for lunch!
Crunchy Salad With Sweet Potato Salsa and Creamy Turmeric Dressing [Vegan]
For the Slaw:
- 1/4 red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, finely sliced
- 1 celery stalk, finely sliced
- 12 snap pea pods, peas removed
- A good handful fresh leafy greens
- 2 dried figs, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- Juice of 1/4 of an orange
- 1 teaspoon flaxseed oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Salsa:
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 Roma tomatoes, cubed
- A pinch of cumin, paprika, and salt
- A good squeeze of lemon juice
For the Cashew Turmeric Dressing:
- 2-inch piece fresh turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons soaked cashews
- 1 carrot roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon white miso
- 2 tablespoons unpasteurized lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 3 tablespoons macadamia oil
- 3/4 cup of water
To Make the Salad:
- Place the cabbage, carrot, celery, greens, and peas in a large bowl and mix well to combine. Add the orange juice, flaxseed oil, and salt and mix gently with your hands to evenly coat the salad.
- Place the almonds on a baking tray and bake or grill for 5 minutes until they are brown and fragrant.
- To serve, pile up the coleslaw evenly on two plates, scatter with the figs and roasted almond flakes. Serve alongside the sweet potato salsa.
To Make the Salsa:
- Place the sweet potato cubes on a baking tray with a good drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Roast until tender and ready to eat.
- Add the avocado, tomato, spices, salt, and lemon to the baking tray and mix everything together gently- this mixes everything with the olive oil and warms everything slightly.
- Serve alongside the slaw and a good drizzle of turmeric dressing.
To Make the Cashew Turmeric Dressing:
- Place all ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve drizzled over the slaw and the sweet potato salsa.