Baking the tofu rather than frying it uses far less oil to get the perfect level of crispness. You can whisk or mash the avocado dressing with a fork, but using a blender will guarantee a super-smooth result.
Crispy Tofu Tacos and Chopped Salsa Salad [Vegan]
For the Tacos:
- 200g (7oz) firm or extra firm tofu, cut into 1cm (1/2 inch) dice
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cucumber, deseeded and finely diced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 little gem lettuce, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapeños, or 1 chopped fresh chili
- Small handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 4 corn or wholemeal tortillas (15cm/6-inch diameter), or homemade flatbreads
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Hot chili sauce, to serve (optional)
For the Dressing:
- 1 large avocado, stoned and peeled
- 1/2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/Fan 180ºC/ 400ºF/Gas 6. Place the diced tofu in a bowl, sprinkle in the spices, cornflour, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix with your fingers to coat, taking care not to break up the tofu too much. Transfer to a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, put the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and lettuce in a bowl, adding the jalapeños, cilantro, olive oil (if using), and a pinch of salt. Mix gently, then set aside.
- To make the dressing, put the avocado, garlic, and 1 tablespoon of the lime juice into a food processor or blender and blitz until smooth.
- Add some cold water, a little at a time, until the mixture has a pourable yogurt-like consistency. Season lightly with salt and more lime to taste.
- When the tofu is ready, warm the tortillas in the oven for a couple of minutes. Pile some chopped salad into each one and divide the tofu equally between them. Spoon over some avocado dressing and a zigzag of chili sauce, if using. Fold in half and eat immediately.