Crsipy, tender, and juicy, these seitan burgers are the ultimate crowd-pleasing burger for a barbecue. They're made from seitan and beans, so they're big on protein and all the seasoning gives it that "meaty" taste. Serve these with all the fixings of a traditional burger — lettuce, sliced tomato and onion, ketchup, and a sesame seed bun for the fast food experience without having to take a trip to the drive-thru.
Crispy Seitan Burgers [Vegan]
- 9.8 ounces seitan
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons cooked grain or 1/2 cup white beans
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, plus more to coat the burgers
- 1 small bunch of cilantro or parsley
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or coconut aminos for soy-free
- 1 teaspoon of ginger powder, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 355°F.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, add oil. Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper, and cook for a few minutes.
- In a food processor, chop the seitan. Add the cooked onion and all remaining ingredients. Pulse until smooth. Check the seasoning and adjust to taste. If the batter is too wet, add a little more breadcrumbs. Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Once 20 minutes have passed, take the batter out of the refrigerator. Using your hands, form balls, roll them in breadcrumbs, and then slightly flatten them into patties. Place on a lined and lightly oiled baking tray and bake until they are firm and golden.
- Or, if you prefer, you can cook them in a non-stick pan. To do that, add oil to a pan and cook until both sides are crispy and golden.
- Seitan (Plant Protein)