These crispy potato flautas capture the spirit of authentic Mexican flautas without sacrificing authentic taste. Soft, buttery potatoes and onions are rolled into a warm corn tortilla and then fried on both sides until crispy. It's served with crisp Mexican-style coleslaw on the side; fresh Romaine lettuce, cucumber, radish, cilantro, and scallions are tossed with creamy vegan mayo and a squeeze of lime.
Crispy Potato Flautas With Mexican Coleslaw [Vegan]
For the Flautas:
- 12 corn tortillas
- 5 Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Coleslaw:
- 1 head Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup roughly chopped cucumber
- 1 cup roughly chopped radish
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon scallions
- A dash of lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small pieces and boil until tender. Meanwhile, sauté the onion in the vegan butter. Mash the potatoes, add onion, and season with salt and pepper.
- Warm the tortillas prior to starting (this will make them easier to roll up). Place one tablespoon of the potato mixture in the center of a tortilla and spread in a strip. Roll up the tortilla tightly, forming a flute shape, or “flauta”. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet. When hot, fry about 2-3 flautas at a time, turning often to brown evenly. Place on brown paper to drain.
- For the coleslaw, mix together all the vegetables, add the vegan mayonnaise, lime, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Top the flautas with guacamole, salsa, or vegan sour cream. Serve with the coleslaw on the side.