Crisp on the outside with a fluffy interior, these chickpea fries are absolutely delicious! They're simple with a slight zest and their shape stays intact through frying for a very snackable dish. Enjoy these as a fun side dish or make a big batch just to munch on.
Crispy Chickpea Fries [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Finely chopped parsley and sea salt, for garnish
- Line two pans with parchment paper on both sides to create a “sling.” Whisk together the flour and spices.
- Bring the water and olive oil to a boil in a medium saucepan. Lower the heat and gradually whisk in the chickpea flour, stirring until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two pans, and smooth with a small offset spatula. Top with another piece of parchment and continue to smooth out the top. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until fully set.
- Heat 1-2″ of vegetable oil in a large pot, to a temperature of 350-360°F. While the oil is heating, lift out the chilled dough, transfer to a cutting board and cut into strips.
- Fry the strips in the oil, a few at a time, until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel-lined tray to drain.
- Season with sea salt and parsley and serve immediately.
- Chickpea Flour