Crispy vegan "chicken" tenders, baked or fried, tossed in Frank's Red Hot Sauce, and served with a trio of tasty dips. Need we say more? Didn't think so.
Crispy “Chicken” Tenders [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Crispy “Chicken” Tenders [Vegan]
For the Tofu:
- 2 bricks extra-firm tofu
For the Breading:
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup plain crispy rice cereal, crushed
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- A pinch of sea salt & pepper
For the Coating:
- 1/2 cup vegan hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
How to Prepare Crispy “Chicken” Tenders [Vegan]
For the Baked Tofu:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F, and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Wrap the tofu in a towel or paper towel, and put some weights over top. Press it for 15-20 minutes, then cut into sticks.
- Place the cornstarch in one bowl, the plant milk in a second bowl, and mix together panko crumbs, rice crispies, avocado oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and dried parsley in a third bowl.
- Coat the tofu sticks in cornstarch first, then dip them in milk, and then roll in crumb mixture. Place each tofu stick on the parchment-lined pan, and bake for 25 minutes on 400°F, flipping halfway.
- In the meantime, mix together Franks and oil in a bowl.
- Next, remove tofu from oven, brush with hot sauce & oil mixture, and place back in the oven. Bake on 400°F for 10-15 more minutes, or until tofu is crispy on each side.
For the Fried Tofu:
- For the fried tofu, heat a layer of neutral oil in saucepan on medium. You'll know the oil is hot enough when you stick a wooden spoon in and you see bubbling.
- Fry the tofu for approximately 1 minute per side, checking throughout to make sure it isn't burning.
- When tofu sticks are brown on each side, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate until all tofu is done frying.
- Toss tofu sticks in the hot sauce and oil mixture, then place on a cooling rack over a baking sheet.
- Bake on 400°F for 5-7 minutes to crisp up the outside again.
- Serve tofu sticks with creamy vegan ranch, zesty jalapeño nacho sauce, or spicy chili garlic aioli.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.