One of my favorite sandwiches back in the day was the classic Po’ Boy, a Louisiana/New Orleans favorite complete with fried shrimp, French baguette, and mayonnaise-based remoulade sauce. It’s been forever since I experienced my delicious favorite, and I decided it was high time I veganized that bad boy … erm, po’ boy, with crispy cauliflower fritters and a creamy cashew remoulade sauce.
Crispy Cauliflower Po’ Boy Sandwich With Remoulade Sauce [Vegan]
- 2 small French baguette loaves, or other bread of choice, or large romaine leaves
- 5 cups of cauliflower florets (about 1/2 head cauliflower)
- 2 small tomatoes
- 2 cups of chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon prepared Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 1 cup almond milk (or other plant milk)
- 2 tablespoons garbanzo bean flour
- 1 tablespoon ground golden flax seed
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup cashews*
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- In a shallow bowl, mix cornmeal and Cajun seasoning. In a separate bowl, mix the plant milk, chickpea/garbanzo flour, flax seed, and add a dash of salt and pepper. Whisk the mixture until no clumps remain. It should be the consistency of whisked eggs. Add a little more flour or milk if needed to thicken or thin it. Now, dip the cauliflower florets into the “egg” mixture and then immediately roll into the cornmeal and spice mixture, and set on the prepared pan.
- Bake the florets for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown. While they’re baking, prepare the sauce.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Assemble the sandwiches with the sauce, tomatoes, cauliflower, and lettuce. Enjoy!
Instead of cashews and water, you can substitute about 1 1/4 cups vegan mayo in the remoulade.