This is a simple yet nutritious meal bursting with plant-based goodness. A one-pot comforting meal enhanced by the warming heat of spices and ginger.
Creamy Yellow Split Pea and Spinach Dahl [Vegan]
- 1 cup of yellow split peas
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 14-ounces can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 cups of water
- 2 handfuls of spinach leaves
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Fresh coriander to serve
- Rinse yellow split peas under water. Set aside.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a large saucepan.
- Add cumin seeds, turmeric, mustard seeds and cayenne pepper. Fry gently for 2-3 mins.
- Add finely chopped onion, grated ginger and crushed garlic. Fry gently for another 3 mins until onion is soft.
- Add yellow split peas, chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock and water to the saucepan.
- Cook half covered for around 45mins under medium heat. Stir often so the peas do not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When you are happy with the consistency of the yellow split peas (I like mine still holding their shapes) add spinach leaves to the pan and cook for a few minutes until wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top with fresh coriander leaves just before serving.