When it’s damp, cold and grey outside, nothing beats a hot bowl of homemade tomato soup. Completely plant-based, this hearty soup bursts with flavour. The texture is also fabulous. Adding grilled aubergine and processing the cooked ingredients in a blender give this soup a rich and creamy texture.
Creamy Tomato Soup [Vegan]
- Olive oil to taste
- 1 big red bell pepper, quartered
- 1 small aubergine with peel, sliced in big chunks
- 2 medium-size cooking onions, sliced fine
- 2-4 garlic buds, sliced fine
- 7 ripe medium-large size tomatoes with peels, sliced in cubes (6 cups of cubed tomatoes)
- A dash of mixed Italian herbs (fresh and/or dry)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable bouillon (homemade or bouillon cube + water)
- Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- A pinch of hot pepper flakes (optional)
- Topping (options): roasted pine nuts, micro-greens and/or dill weed
- Oven: 450°F (standard oven) or 430°F (fan oven)
- Put pepper and aubergine slices in a bowl and drizzle some olive oil. Toss the veggies to coat them with the oil. Sprinkle some salt. Spread aubergine and pepper pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment and put in oven. Grill for about 10-15 minutes or until charred with black marks. Turn over once with tongs.
- Meanwhile, in a soup pot, heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sauté the onions and garlic until golden and soft, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes with their juices and sauté on medium heat. Add the Italian herbs and balsamic vinegar and toss. Add the grilled aubergine and pepper and toss. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 5 minutes on medium-low, tossing a few times.
- Add the bouillon and simmer covered on low heat for another 20 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor and blend the soup until it is very creamy. Pour back into the pot and season with salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes. Cover and let the soup settle for 10 minutes off the heat. Serve. Garnish as desired.