This pasta sauce recipe that is easy to make and only requires 15 minutes preparation. It’s much creamier than your average tomato sauce due to two special ingredients: Nutritional yeast and almond butter. If you haven’t tried nut butter with pasta, you’ve been missing out!
Creamy Almond Butter Tomato Pasta [Vegan]
- 7-ounces pasta
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2-ounces dried tomatoes
- 10 1/2-ounces cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (crunchy and salted)
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pine nuts (to top)
- Cherry tomatoes (to top)
- Fresh basil (to top)
- Cook pasta according to instructions on the package. In the meantime, slice garlic and toast it in a pan on high heat without oil until slightly brown from all sides.
- Add the toasted garlic, dried tomatoes, tomato paste and nutritional yeast to a high-speed blender and process together with about 300g hot pasta water.
- Slice cherry tomatoes. Dice the red onion finely.
- Add oil or water to the pan and fry the onion until soft and translucent.
- Add cherry tomatoes to the pan and continue frying until they are soft.
- Pour the blended mixture into the pan, add Italian herbs, salt, and pepper and turn off the heat. Stir in almond butter.
- Let simmer for another 1-2 minutes before you throw the cooked pasta into the sauce to combine.
- Serve on a plate and top off with pine nuts, raw cherry tomatoes and fresh basil.