I’m one of those people who stocks up on canned pumpkin and enjoys eating it (and butternut squash and sweet potatoes…) all year-round, but I appreciate that for some folks, there’s only one season in which to consume this low calorie food: Fall. If you are one of those people, you’re missing out on about 9 months of nutritional benefits. Pumpkin is rich in antioxidants (think: cancer-fighters) like vitamin C and E and is off-the-charts in vitamin A. It’s also an excellent source of minerals like copper, phosphorus, calcium, and potassium.
Creamy Pumpkin-Coconut Pie [Vegan, Sugar-Free, Oil-Free]
- 1 9 1/2-inch whole wheat or gluten-free baked pie shell or your favorite raw crust
- 1/4 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup raw cashew pieces, soaked for a few hours, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon coconut butter
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla-flavored stevia liquid
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- A pinch of allspice
- Whipped coconut cream, for topping (optional)
- In a small bowl combine the toasted coconut and the crystallized ginger. Set aside.
- Put the cashews, pumpkin purée, coconut butter, water, non-dairy milk, maca powder, ginger, stevia, and spices in a high-speed blender and process until very smooth.
- Scrape about half of the cashew-pumpkin mixture into the pie crust and smooth. Sprinkle the toasted coconut/ginger over top and carefully add the remaining cashew-pumpkin mixture over top. Spread until even and smooth.
- Chill for several hours or until firm. Cut into slices and serve with whipped coconut cream.