This delicious polenta is layered with a plethora of wonderful textures and flavors. Polenta is cooked in vegetable broth to infuse it with savory flavor and then it's topped with balsamic oven-roasted vegetables like hearty Brussels sprouts and meaty mushrooms. The crispy chickpeas on top are roasted in olive oil and garlic powder, adding the perfect tang and crunch to the dish. Who knew such a simple meal could taste so good?
Creamy Polenta With Balsamic Brussels Sprouts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Polenta:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coarse grain cornmeal (or polenta)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
For the Balsamic Vegetables:
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 cup White Button mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Chickpeas:
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spread drained and rinsed chickpeas over a paper towel and dry using another paper towel. Pour dried chickpeas into a bowl and coat with olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Spread across a baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes, or until desired crispiness.
- Toss chopped vegetables with olive oil (or basting oil), balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Spread across a baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes, stirring once or twice during cook time.
- Boil 1 cup of water and 1 cup of vegetable broth on the stove. Whisk in the polenta and salt until the mixture has become slightly thick.
- Turn down to a low simmer and cover. Every 5-10 minutes, take off the lid and whisk vigorously, then replace lid. Cook for a total of 20-30 minutes, or until polenta has reached your desired consistency. Turn heat off and stir in butter.
- Time to plate. Start with a large scoop of polenta, then top with a large serving of roasted vegetables and a handful of garlic chickpeas.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and cracked black pepper, if desired.